Class Responsibilities: The Power of Three
Take Care of Yourself
Take Care of Others
Take Care of Our Classroom
Here at Greenwood Charter School we encourage our students to be "Trailblazers" and take responsibility for their actions throughout the day. Through positive behaviors and positive rewards, we hope to create an environment where all students feel safe and welcome.
In second grade we will focus on classroom responsibilities rather than rules. By emphasizing everyone's responsibility to contribute to our classroom community, we build a community of involved participants instead of students who follow rules blindly.
2nd Grade Fuzzies
- Second grade uses "Warm Fuzzies" as a behavior management plan for students. It is more than just behavior management. It is a system that encourages responsibility, personal best, and hard work.
- Student can "get fuzzies" and "lose fuzzies throughout the day.
- Sometimes I will give out fuzzies to the whole class or table and other times to individual students. Examples for ways to earn fuzzies: being prepared for the day, returning signed tests, being helpful to a classmate, perseverance, following directions, etc.
- Students can save up fuzzies and "spend" them on coupons for special privileges.
- Coupons are available for 10 fuzzies, 20 fuzzies, 30 fuzzies, 50 fuzzies, and 100 fuzzies.
- On Fuzzy Trade in Day at the end of each week, students can "spend" their fuzzies or continue to save them up in order to get higher value coupons later.
- This is a powerful and motivating system that not only rewards students for appropriate behavior, but work habits, perseverance and improvement. A student's behavior is also visually not obvious to others because students are spending and saving fuzzies all of the time. The number of fuzzies in your cup do not obviously reflect problems. (i.e. A child with one fuzzy may have just "spent" his/her fuzzies and is beginning to save them again)